The David N. Schramm Award for
High Energy Astrophysics Science Journalism
Rules for the David N. Schramm Award
1) Entries must be written by journalists or feature writers. The work of professional scientists or of members of the judging panel is not eligible. Working scientists are not eligible for the award.
2) Entries must be newspaper, magazine or web articles--written in English--dealing primarily with a topic or topics in high-energy astrophysics. Entries must have been available to, and intended for, the general public. For a clarification of what topics will be considered admissible and what topics will be rejected, please
see our What is High-Energy Astrophysics? page.
3) Entries that do not carry individual bylines (that is, proof of authorship) should be accompanied by a letter from the editor.
4) Entries can be submitted by a third party. In all cases, the name appearing on the application cover page should be the name of the author, not that of the person nominating. If you are submitting an entry for a third party, please enclose a cover letter explaining it.
5) Only electronic submissions will now be accepted. Please send in a format such as pdf or Word.
6) Web-based articles are accepted and are subject to the same rules as electronic submissions.
7) A series may be submitted as a single entry if each section clearly states that it is part of a series. One or two individual sections of a series may also be submitted as separate entries.
8) A maximum of two entries written by a single author or group of authors may be submitted.
9) The collaborative effort of multiple authors will be considered as a single entry. In case the award goes to an entry with multiple authors, only one representative will receive the all-expense paid travel to the HEAD meeting. Each author will receive a plaque containing a citation.
In this case, please use the multiple authors application page.
10) The winners from the previous year are not eligible but past winners are. No author can receive more than three awards during the time the award is given.